14 November 2018 – With Black Friday falling on 23 November this year, many of South Africa’s top retailers, both online and bricks and mortar, have upped the ante in offering massive discounts to make this the most colossal shopping bonanza to date.
And when you swipe your American Express® Card from 23 – 26 November you could win 1 of 20 cash prizes worth R5000 each. On the biggest shopping day of the year, you will not only enjoy massive savings, but also the added benefits of spending with the world’s most trusted shopping and travel companion.
American Express® top five tips for making the most of Black Friday:
- Put in the prep – Make a list of the items you’re coveting, and then visit different websites to identify the best deals available. And subscribe to your targeted stores’ newsletters as many, like Makro, will be sending out sales email alerts.
- Stake out your steals – Because not everything on your wish list may be found on every website, take time out for a pre-Black Friday reconnaissance mission to ring fence items worth braving the crowds for. And when it comes to clothing, try it on to avoid the Black Friday changing room crush.
- Click quick – With more of us turning to shop with our fingers, online retailers are seizing the Black Friday to Cyber Monday weekend as an opportunity to tantalise us, giving us greater chances of scoring cyber swag without slipping out of our PJs. For instance, Takealot.com is offering special app-only deals while its Blue Dot sale, which starts on Black Friday and extends to Cyber Monday and Takealot Tuesday, means you’re in for five days of bumper deals.
- In good timing – Expect extended Black Friday shopping hours, so consult your favourite mall for updates. Most Game stores, for instance, will open several hours earlier with some even opening at midnight on 22 November.
- Stay focussed – Be careful about splurging on items that you might not necessarily need. The halo of a red discount sign can distract even the most seasoned of shoppers – so, when you come across what appears to be a massive bargain, check if it passes the nul test: Do you really need it, will you actually use it, and can you live without it?
So, wherever you decide to shop, make the experience extra special with your American Express Card®.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing clients with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success.
Since 1997 American Express has partnered with a select group of leading banks and financial institutions around the world to issue American Express-branded products and acquire merchants for the American Express merchant network. By leveraging its partnerships, global infrastructure and the powerful appeal of the brand, American Express has gained even broader reach for its network worldwide.
Nedbank is the licensed issuer of American Express-branded Cards in South Africa, and also signs up merchants to accept American Express card in South Africa, and also signs up merchants to accept American Express Card transactions.
MR LEE FRASER